About Me

My photo
I like good food and I can not lie. I also like saving money and rattling those pots and pans. Mostly, nobody gets hurt.

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Welcome to my world! Got any snacks?

Welcome to my new blog, which is about being an athletic work-in-progress, which is to say that I am neither currently at my fittest, nor at my fattest. 

You don't have to be thin to be an athlete. You just have to do the work and kick some butt.

I have now returned, somewhat cautiously, to semi-hardcore levels, to running and lifting and all the sweaty stuff, after an injury last year and a sordid affair with cheese. (I still see cheese sometimes, but we have an understanding).

I am not where I want to be, speed or weight-wise. But it's better than it was six months ago. And when I see people who knew me at my fitness heyday, about two years ago, they think I'm a fatty. I had this nasty girl who was in my marathon training group pass me on an escalator say "Are you still running?" and then say, under her breath "Guess not."

Yes, I heard you. And while I can lose weight, you will probably still suck.

At the height of my nutty runner-ness, I was clocking a nine-minute mile, usually finishing 5Ks at around 28-29 minutes and having absolutely no problems flashing a little midriff.

Possibly inappropriately at times.

But I digress.

I was never the fastest, or the thinnest, in any of my age groups in races (I once came in second at a race that most of the usual suspects skipped to run a longer race the next day, and, had I run it a week later when I turned 35, I'd have come in seventh.)

But considering that I was not an athlete in high school or college, or for most of my 20s, that's not bad. Actually, it's awesome. I was so NOT an athlete in college that a) I was referred to as "The Fat Twin," and actually told by a not nice old lady at my church that she was happy I was now fat because she could now tell me from my sister and b) my fit parents bought me running shoes and a pink track suit for Christmas, suggesting a family run/walk around the lake, during which my sister and I, who were 19, chatted at such a slow crawl that we were lapped by our 43-year-old mother. Twice.

But I was a gym rat, off and on, and in 1997 ran my first 5K, which was all up hill and nearly killed me. I was hooked, because I understood that the more I ran, the more I could eat. If you had told me that the more I studied math in high school, the more pizza I'd been able to snarf, I wouldn't have had to take the Stupid Math in college, the non-credit class you had to take to qualify for Basic Math.

And when I moved to Florida in 2002, I discovered that everyone was thinner than they were in Central Pennsylvania, which makes since, because the official animal of Pennsylvania is pork. I quickly went on a crazy diet and lost a lot of weight, working out obsessively, losing my hips and boobs, wearing a 6, and worrying my mother. But things got better (and less scary thing) when I went crazy with the running, mostly because in 2004 I moved to an apartment with no gym. I ran with a friend who pushed me, and we did our first half marathon in 2004, in the pouring rain. And in 2005, I trained for and ran/walked/crawled the full Baltimore Marathon, the last 11 miles of which I had a nasty leg cramp and wished to die.

But then somebody bought me a funnel cake, and everything got better.

Anyway, I did another two halfs, a bunch of 5ks and 4 milers, and the 8-mile leg of the Knoxville Marathon with my whole family, during which I had to catch up with the clown who denoted the end of the race. But we ran that clown down, man. We ran his chunky shoe-wearing butt down but good.

But then came the injuries and the mid-30s, and then the post-mid 30s, and the cheese and the Happy Hours that turned into dinner and more drinks and a gazillion calories before bed. And that's just the nachos. And by May, around the time I got dumped (I will give that whole relationship as much time as he gave it before cheating on/dumping me. And...we're done!) I joined a new gym and realized that I weighed...get this...

You might want to sit down....

180 pounds.

At my thinnest I weighed 146. Seriously. Of course, this time, it was a combination of fat and muscle, which shocked my new trainer, who initially just assumed I was a fat girl with no fitness. When I lifted a bit and ran without getting winded, he looked at me and said "You're so strong" which translates to "What did you do to yourself?"

But in six months, I've lost a lot of inches, including a bra size, am back in clothes I never thought I'd wear again, and decided to let go some others that I'm never, ever going to wear again. Ever.

I haven't been on the scale much because it just confuses me without knowing the body composition, but I reckon I'm somewhere near 170. When I get back from my vacation I'll let you know. There will be cheese. But also running.

Run on, y'all.

1 comment:

Maurice said...

The blog looks good! I like the historical overview and the conversational style. Keep it up, along with the running, etc.! You go, girl!